Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Surgery - Tracheostomy & G-Tube

Dear Annie Girl-

Well... You have a Trach and G-tube now! Oh how emotional and nervous I was yesterday! Your dad and I got up to the hospital at 7:30 yesterday morning and got you all situated before they took you down to the operating room at 8:30. When it was time to take you down, I broke down. I was so nervous thinking thinking the worst possible things that could happen-not a good idea. Your dad reassured me that we knew this was the right thing. We had prayed to our Heavenly Father and knew/felt it was right. I got a feeling of comfort and agreed with your dad.

When we got down to the outside of the operating room, I had to sign wavers and giving the doctors permission to put you under using Endotracheal Anesthesia, and operating on you. As we said bye to you I whispered in your ear and told you how much I loved you and I knew this was the right thing. I told you to FIGHT as hard as you could! I sobbed and sobbed when they rolled you away. It was as if I'd never see you again. But I knew the next time I'd see you, I'd get to see your beautiful face fully for the first time. 

As your dad and I waited in the waiting room, I kept looking at the clock. They said the surgery would only take 45 minutes to an hour and it was past an hour. Finally, the Doctor that did your trach came in and sat down. He said the trach was finished but that it was the hardest Tracheostomy he'd ever done. He said that because your neck is so small, your sound box and wind pipe weren't where they technically were supposed to be so he had to pull up your sound box to get the trach placed in the right spot. As he told me this I about pooped my pants! Okay, not really... But that made me scared! I sure was glad that it worked! They usually wait three days post surgery to change out the trach, but they are going to wait one week because they don't want anything moving or anything because it was such a hard tracheostomy. They then put in your G-tube and that took another 45 minutes. The doctor came in and said it went extremely well and he didn't have any trouble doing it.

Your dad and I then headed back up to the NICU to meet you in your room. We had to wait fifteen minutes before we could see you because they had to get you situated back in your room. I was DYING to see you! When they told us we could see you, your dad and I quickly washed our hands and hurried into your room. Holy cow Annie... you were GORGEOUS! How beautiful of a daughter I have! It was so crazy to FINALLY see your sweet little face! You looked absolutely stunning. You still were under anesthesia so you weren't very responsive but I sure could feel your sweet little spirit! Your body was quite swollen because of all of the I.V. fluid and you usually swell post surgery. But how emotional I was. It was almost as if I was seeing you for the first time. Your dad and I kept saying how much more mature you looked with out all of the tape over your face! Goodness... you just look so sweet, cute, and beautiful! You sure do look a heck of a lot like your dad! You have my nose and my big fat lips but everything else, your all your dad! You are just the gosh darn cutest thing!

My Gorgeous Annie Girl:)

Your Face!!! :) :) <3 I'm in love!


You know that Mother's Day giveaway I won off Small Fry Blog? Well... We decided to use it last night so we could be down the street from you at the Grand America Hotel and it was so nice! I loved that I got to see you three times yesterday! It was so nice and I was so happy to be with you so much yesterday and today! I wish we lived closer to you! But I'm so thankful that we still live close. Annie, I hope you know that you are in one of the best children's hospitals in the country. I am so blessed to live in Utah where I know that you're in some of the best Doctors in the world. I don't know how parents live in a different state than their babies. There is no way I'd be able to do that. I was so happy I got to spend the night ten minutes away from you last night. It was such a treat!

When we went back up to the hospital last night, your heart rate was up to 170 when it should be at around 140. I knew that you were in pain. They were a little behind on giving you your pain medicine and my heart just ached thinking that you were in pain. You also hadn't peed since 6 a.m. They put a catheter in you and oh how I cried when I saw all of the urine come out. Your poor little bladder was so full no wonder you were in pain! I felt so bad. The nurse said they would be keeping the catheter in for a few days because you were swollen from surgery. I felt so bad that you were in pain. Once they got the catheter in and your medicine, your heart rate finally started going down. Apparently you had a great night last night and you've had a good day. You have had one episode for the day which is great! We're thinking that it could be because of all of the medicine you're on, but I'm still hoping/thinking/praying that you are just more comfortable with that trach and these episodes will slowly but surely go away. You looked GREAT today! You weren't as swollen which I was so happy about and you looked SO relaxed. Your heart rate was at 140 which I was happy about. They did boost up your ventilator a little because you weren't breathing as much. We were expecting that though because of all that you been through. But you looked great and seemed much more comfortable today. 

Annie, I love you so so much! I'm so glad that the surgery went well! And I am just hoping and praying that your recovery goes by and fast and that you're not in pain. So many people have been praying for you. People that your mommy and daddy don't even know are praying for you and we are so grateful to all of these people that are praying for you. People that don't even pray have personally written me telling me that they don't pray often, but they are taking the time to pray for you. How grateful I am for all of the prayers people have been giving for you sweetheart. Keep fighting!! I sure do know how much of a fighter you are! You are the toughest little girl I have ever known! Mommy loves you and know that the Lord knows what he is doing. He loves you, he feels your pain, and he's always with you Annie. Please never forget that. Sleep well my little one!

Love,

Mommy

You and dad:)

My favorite little girl!!

My little Munchkin all mature!

Ah! Look at that face!!! :) :)

In love with you!! <3



I could see Primary Children's Hospital from our room! Oh how I loved it!

yipee! I'm sleeping close to you tonight Annie! <3

1 comments:

  1. Hi Pugmire family. I'm so glad little Annie's surgery went well. I couldn't sleep last night after reading your blog. I was just as antsy as you. I'm always looking forward to you next blog so I can say my prayers and keep the angels above up to speed cause I know the lord is busy watching over your precious little Annie. She is so beautiful Jess. She is so lucky to have you as a mommy. Miss you girlie. God bless all of you

    ReplyDelete